|Preschool Age||4 years – 5 years|
|Program Days||3-days, 4-days, 5-days|
|Preschool Hours||Full day: 7:15 am – 6:00 pm|
Half Day: 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
Half Day w/Early drop-off: 7:15 am – 3:30 pm
Pre – Kindergarten (Pre K) Classroom
“What Would Happen If…?
Our Pre-Kindergarten preschool class is a bridge between our preschool and Pre-K/ Kindergarten programs. The Pre-Kindergarten integrative curriculum is literature based and supports Piaget’s theory that a child’s curiosity drives learning. Open ended exploration combined with activities such as guided/shared reading, journals, problem solving, reasoning and observation are incorporated into the curriculum. Pre-reading skills and phonemic awareness and writing skills are introduced through the Harcourt Language Arts program and the Handwriting Without Tears program. Children in our Pre-Kindergarten class have a growing curiosity about the word. In large group, small group and one-on-one settings, children learn how to share feelings, organize cooperative play, manage conflict, pose problems and discover the solutions!
Pre-Kindergarten explored simple machines, levers, wheels and gears. Here are some activities from that unit:
- Literacy: Children will read Scoop, Seesaw and Raise by Michael Dahl and create their own seesaw on the playground.
- Science: What is a fulcrum? Creating a marshmallow launch.
- Art: Painting with the wheels of a car.
- Math: Measure the length of our tire tracks with a cloth tape measure: which are the longest; shortest; equal?
- Social/Emotional: A Shy Bunny and a Curious Bunny puppet show: How do we politely decline and invitation to play?